Crafting effective OKRs can be challenging, particularly for beginners. Emphasizing outcomes rather than projects should be the core of your planning.
We have a collection of OKRs examples for Developers to give you some inspiration. You can use any of the templates below as a starting point for your OKRs.
If you want to learn more about the framework, you can read more about the meaning of OKRs online.
Examples of OKRs for Developers
The examples have Developers Objectives and Key Results, but they may also include the tasks that can help you get there.
You'll find 10 OKRs examples for Developers below, and some extra tips to write better quarterly plans at the end.
OKRs to improve engineering performance and reliability
- Build a world-class infrastructure
- Increase Apdex above 0.95
- Cache requests wherever possible
- Identify and resolve to 5 application bottlenecks
- Reduce build time to be under 5 minutes
- Audit test suite to reduce duplicates
- Switch to a more performing build infrastructure
- Our stress tests show that we can support 10,000 concurrent users
OKRs to attain great security standards
- Attain great security standards
- All developers score 90+ in our security awareness training
- 100% of devices are enrolled in a Mobile Device Management system
- 100% of our services have a threat mitigation system in place
- Our policies cover 100% of the ISO 27001 requirements
OKRs to accelerate release cycles
- Increase the velocity of our releases through automation
- Increase production deployments from 1/week to 4/week
- Create deployment pipeline on Github
- Automate deployment scripts
- Reduce build time from 20mins to 5mins
- Review test suites and cut expensive tests
- Enable parallel builds
- Reduce the mean lead time for changes from 8 days to 72h
- Set up dedicate code review time to accelerate PR reviews
- 100% of our services have a Continuous Delivery pipeline
OKRs to tackle technical debt
- Tackle technical debt generated by feature rush
- Migrate 80% of projects to new UI library to reduce UI debt
- Reduce percentage of issues tagged as debt by 30%
- Reduce debt-related contact rate by 50%
OKRs to accelerate development via automation
- Accelerate development through automation
- 100% of repos have a Continuous Delivery pipeline
- Use Github Actions/Bitbucket Pipelines to automate deployments on every commit
- Create automated deployment scripts for all repos
- Increase code coverage from 30% to 60%
- Reduce cycle time from 8 days to 8h
- Reduce build time from 20min to 5min
- Audit tests to find areas of improvements
- Split tests to run in parallel when possible
OKRs to improve engineering release cycles
- Significantly increase the speed of our development cycle
- Improve developer NPS from 20 to 60
- Reduce build times from 25 to under 5 mins
- Reduce cycle time from 28 days to 6 days
- Implement CD pipeline for the staging environment
- Automate all deployment steps
OKRs to migrate to a new technology
- Our JS codebase has migrated to TypeScript
- Reduce the use of "any" type by 30%
- 75% of our JS repositories are now using TypeScript
- 80% of frontend developers have gone through TypeScript training
OKRs to achieve great performance and reliability
- Achieve amazing performance with a world-class infrastructure
- Increase Apdex from 0.7 to 0.98
- Add a CDN in front of resources
- Implement caching wherever possible
- Minify scripts and CSS
- Improve crash free sessions from 75% to 95%
- Reduce core pages load time to be under 3s
- Reduce the number of paged issues by 40%
- Identify and fix top 10 recurring issues
OKRs to increase code quality
- Demonstrate incredible standards in code quality
- 100% of pull requests are reviewed by 2 developers
- 75% of the developers have gone through QA training
- 100% of repositories are using code linting and static code analysis
- Reduce the percentage of QA-related broken builds by 60%
OKRs to deliver great user experience
- Significantly improve the user experience through better performance
- Decrease the number of production exceptions by 45%
- Accelerate customer instance cold start time from 2min to 10s
- Reduce API response time from 900ms to 450ms
- Improve NPS from 15 to 35
Not seeing what you need?
You can use a goal-setting AI to generate great OKRs for you based on a description of your objectives.
How to track your OKRs?
It's important to establish a cadence of check-ins for your OKRs for Developers.
Quarterly OKRs should have weekly updates to get all the benefits from the framework.
We recommend using a spreadsheet for your first OKRs cycle. You'll need to get familiar with the scoring and tracking first. Then, you can scale your OKRs process by using a proper OKRs-tracking tool for it.
Check out the 5 best OKR tracking templates to find the best way to monitor progress during the quarter.
Here are a list of resources to help you adopt the Objectives and Key Results framework.
- To learn: Complete 2022 OKRs guide for Startups
- To implement: Flowing OKRs: 14 rules to simplify OKRs
- Blog posts: ODT Blog
- Success metrics: Success metrics examples